Sunday, July 22, 2012

DIY Cat Scratcher


Recently my friend Amy adopted a kitten named Cookie. I've only met Cookie on two occassions but she has left a lasting impression on me, I already love the little one. Cookie is just like any other ordinary kitten, likes to run around, be cute, and play with everyone and anything. I thought I'd try to make some homemade cat things for Cookie and Amy to enjoy.

I found out about a lot of homemade cat toys that are really easy to make and can save you a lot of money but one that really stood out to me was this DIY cat scratcher. Because I learned every cat needs one that isn't your own furniture and it's pretty practical. Who knew basic scratchers were just corrugated cardboard? So I got down to some basics and brought home some boxes from work and spent a whole night on this little project.




All it took was about six boxes, cutting the boxes into long pieces with a blade and taping and painting. 



























"Can we keep it?"



























I think Toph felt kind of neglected on this day, not only did I make this scratcher but I made a few other simple toys as well. This project gave me a bunch of ideas for Toph. I have all kinds of DIY toys that I can make her now and I've recently been doing some reading on fun games that I can play with her- like playing hide and seek and even hiding her toys/treats and having her find them.




























It's nice to make things for people you care about and if they actually end up liking it, that's a bonus. And I learned a lot about cats during this process, who knew cat nails/claws shed in layers and routine trimming/care of their claws is super important and it hurts much less when they climb on you with those things. I hope Cookie puts these toys to use even if it's just for a little while.

1 comment:

Ly and Dzung said...

toph is so cute, i miss her. you know Tony have you ever thought of setting up a esty shop for things you make....